Monday, October 18, 2004

My grandfather is fine after his TIA but he has to have a carotid endarterectomy. One of the results of the surgery is that he won't be able to drive for several weeks while he recovers. I suspect he may never drive again, to be honest.

And that's causing me some pain and worry. My grandfather, honestly, should not be driving. His short-term memory is poor and his motor reflexes are slipping. But driving is one of the last joys he has. It's a sign of his independence, his ability to care for himself and my grandmother, his ability to do his duty as a husband.

I worry, if driving is taken away from him, that he'll sink into that terrible depression so common among older people who lose their mobility and independence. I worry that he won't want to go on, or that he'll stop taking good care of himself, and his health will decline further.

I worry about all of these things, and I worry about my grandmother in all of it. How will she cope? Can she keep him out of the depths? I hope so, but I also know how proud my grandfather is—he may not let her redeem him, as it were.

This is rough time for me. As I plan to move several states away for law school, my beloved grandparents' health is declining, ever more quickly. I wish I could visit more now; I don't know how awful I'll feel next year when we're so far away.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home