Saturday, May 29, 2004

Impractical shopping

I watch a little too much What Not to Wear, and consequently spent too much money yesterday on what I might once have called totally impractical purchases.

For starters, I bought a yellow raincoat at Ann Taylor. It's not vinyl or nylon -- it's that treated cotton stuff, and it's adorable. Never mind that I already have a colorful treated-cotton raincoat (pink, from The Gap), never mind that it's almost summer and therefore will not rain for months. I had to have it. It was on major sale. I cannot resist something that cute that is also marked down to less than 30% of the original price. (Yes, you read correctly -- a $150 jacket for $40. Not to be resisted.)

Still, though, the happy yellow raincoat is not inherently impractical. After all, it does rain sometimes, and I will want a better-fitting jacket than the pink one I already have (which I never wear because it really doesn't fit well at all). And it's not exclusively for rain -- it will function nicely as a cool-weather jacket come fall.

No, the really impractical purchases were the shoes.

I bought a pair of bright orange slides:


and a pair of pink snakeskin slingbacks:

(These are exactly them, but close. Just imagine the snakeskin!)

Yes, that's right. Pink snakeskin. Clinton and Stacy would be so proud of me. I bought shoes that are not black. I plan to wear them with clothes that aren't necessarily orange or pink. I am adding splashes of color to my wardrobe. I am stunned at myself. So is my husband.

To recap: I bought three things. One is bright yellow, one is bright orange, and one is pink snakeskin. Life is color. I repeat, life is color.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home