Wednesday, April 07, 2004

cooking

I've been doing a lot of cooking lately.

There's something soothing about compiling ingredients, preparing them, combining them in proscribed ways, and producing something savory or sweet.

There's also a measure of control to it. If I mismeasure or substitute bread flour for cake flour, the results are my fault, whether good or bad.

Yet, to a certain extent, I cannot be held accountable for the results if I followed the recipe to the letter and it turned out badly. The fault is on the test kitchen drone who wrote it out.

But I digress.

Cooking. We all must eat. Most of us like to eat certain things, or at least certain kinds of things. Cooking lets me take control of the things I like to eat. It's a power thing. And I acknowledge the power aspect. When I am sifting, scooping, heating, turning, deglazing, and folding in the kitchen, a small voice whispers to me that I'm turning the clock back: where's your husband? sitting on his kiester in front of the boob tube...

But I don't want him in my kitchen. I want total control over my food, what goes in it and when, and how finely it's been chopped, sliced, or diced.

And that control is soothing. Relaxing. Reassuring.

Edit:
Except the cleaning part. I hate the cleaning part. NOT relaxing, not reassuring. And not guaranteed I won't have to do it because sometimes the kitchen is just too dirty to live with.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home