Wednesday, March 24, 2004

punctuation

I find myself dwelling on such momentous issues as "Should I capitalize the first word of a bullet point in good Web copy?" and "Do list items have ending punctuation, whether in individual items or at the end of the list?"

Is it wrong that I think it won't matter in the least? I don't care who my audience is, they won't notice. OK, if my audience has a professional editor in it's midst, that guy might notice. I'd be really surprised, though.

I think what bothers me most is the vehemence some people display when I suggest we abandon their conventions. Is placing a semi-colon at the end of each bulleted item really necessary? And if we were to abolish that practice, would the English language suddenly quicken in its deterioration?

To sum up, I am pretty sure these things are true:

Now, doesn't that look silly?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home