Monday, March 15, 2004

My favorite Holiday

St. Paddy's Day is Wednesday, and I love St. Paddy's Day. I went to St. Patrick's Elementary School. The pastor of St. Patrick's Church happened to be Irish. We always, being little schoolchildren, gave up candy for Lent, and St. Patrick's Day almost always (always?) falls during Lent.

But the Monseigneur would come around on St. Patrick's Day, dressed like the good saint, and pass out candy and tell us all that, because St. Patrick was our patron saint, it was our feast day, and we all had a dispensation to break our Lenten discipline. That totally rocked!

I have carried this little tradition into my adult life, and since my husband's favorite holiday is ALSO St. Patrick's Day, we generally celebrate in fine form. This year, we both gave up red meat for Lent, so Wednesday is going to be a beef-fest -- we're already planning on a big Fuddrucker's lunch.

Addendum: Silver Thistle Pipe and Drum is one of the best things about St. Patrick's Day. If you're in Austin, go see them at Mother Egan's at 1:00 pm or at the Dog and Duck at 6:00 pm. Their website has their full schedule.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home