Tuesday, January 06, 2004

A Day in the Life

I have picked up an annoying new habit. In order to spend more quality time with my sweetie, I have agreed to get up at 5:45 in the morning two days a week and 6:00 in the morning three days a week to go to the gym with him. You morning people may not understand the pain, so let me describe this morning to you:

Alarm buzzes. I roll over and squint at insanely small green-backlit clock (note to self: get new clock with bigger, red numbers) and see "6:00."

Blech. "Honey, it's 6:00. Time to go work out." I am hoping he feels as awful as I do and will reply, "Oh, just snooze it...we can make it up tomorrow."

Instead, he grabs me by the waist and spoons. Hmmmm, I think, maybe we are snoozing. I snuggle in and murmer, "You want me to snooze?"

"No. I just wanted to hug you." Suddenly, a blast of cold air hits my butt and the back of my neck as he throws the comforter off.

Blech again.

But I love the man, so I get up, stagger to the bathroom, and shove my contacts in my eyes. Gym shorts, sweats, sports bra, tank top, hoodie. Socks, sneakers. Big, bulky backpack full of my shower stuff and work clothes. Leather coat, gloves, scarf.

Cold car. Air conditioner still on?!? I haven't driven Little Red in a few days, obviously. Temperature slider gets pushed all the way to the red, fan gets turned to "off" while the car warms up, radio gets changed from the awful 101X Morning Show to Morning Edition on KUT.

It's dark at 6:07 in the morning, few other cars on the road.

Campus is dead as I sail up Speedway. Park on 21st, in one of the "permit required 7:30-4:30" spots. Blech. Quick workout today—must have time to shower and move car by 7:30. Brian scoots into the spot in front of mine. I stand next to my car, facing into the wind, waiting for him to get his butt out of his car and start walking. It's too cold to wait for him but I do.

As we walk he says, "I already miss my heated seats." Blech. Lucky boy with the new car. It's definitely cold and my fingers are numb inside my gloves. I consider the benefit of mittens.

Into Gregory Gym. Warm, brightly lit, about two dozen other crazy people already on the machines in the "Cardio Theater." Dip into locker room to deposit bag, lose sweatpants, grab headphones. Back to "Cardio Theater" to watch CNN from the elliptical machine.

Bright side? Brian, at my side. With headphones, watching CNN from his elliptical machine. I notice how he sweats more than I do, that he uses the "reverse mode" every 5 minutes.

And at the end of our twenty minutes, we kiss and disappear into our separate locker rooms. When I emerge from the building 25 minutes later, I notice his car (parked right in front of mine) is already gone. But at least we started the day together.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home